My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Chicken Enchiladas (Sauce, Salsa, and Tortillas)

So, I'm about to make chicken enchiladas with some left-over roasted chicken and I got on here, my blog, to look up the recipe I always use to make the sauce and lo! The recipe is not on my blog! I'm happy to report I had bookmarked it in my browser. Whew! So, I'm copying it below so I don't have to sweat it again next time I need it. =)

Easy Enchilada Sauce

2 T. veg oil
2 T. flour
2 T. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
2 c. water
1 (8 oz) can tomato paste
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Heat the oil, flour, and chili powder together in a small pot. Allow to cook for about a minute. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a slow simmer. Stir well to combine and dissolve tomato paste in water. Allow to cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I double the batch and freeze into the portion size needed to make my enchiladas. One time making sauce for about four batches of enchiladas. Boom!

---------------------------

As for the enchiladas...

Make Jami Nato's whole wheat flour tortillas (found below).
Make salsa (my recipe is below) or use a jar of your fave.
Pour a thin layer of salsa on the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
Fill tortillas with chicken, salsa, and cheese.
Lay filled and rolled tortillas side by side in the pan.
Cover with enchilada sauce and more cheese.
Bake 15-20 mins at 375 degrees.
Devour.

--------------------------------------------

Jami Nato's Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas:

Ingredients
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil (such as grape seed oil, canola oil)
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons boiling water

Directions

1. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt. Using your hands, work the oil into the flour mixture until evenly distributed. Pour in hot water and continue to mix with your hands until mixture comes together, ¼ cup at a time, adding additional hot water as needed. Knead the mixture in the bowl or on the countertop by hand until smooth. The dough should be damp, soft and relaxed. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let rest at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour. 

2. Divide the dough into 10 golf ball size pieces, about 1 ¼-inch. Roll each piece into a lightly floured surface into a 6-inch round using a rolling pin.

3. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook a rolled tortilla in hot skillet until the bubbles begin to appear on the surface, then flip tortilla to opposite side and cook until golden brown spots start to appear on bottom. Immediately transfer cooked tortilla to tortilla server or a baking sheet and cover with a tea towel. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve hot.

These can be stored in the frig for about a week or the freezer for much longer. Again, I usually double the batch and freeze some.

--------------------------------

And here are some salsa ideas...

My sister-in-law came up with this one. Everyone in my family makes it a little differently. Play with the ratios til you come up with just the right taste for you.

1 can of stewed tomatoes
drop of garlic juice
about a teaspoon of sugar
splash of vinegar
a couple of tablespoons pickled jalapenos
salt and pepper to taste
Blend in blender to preferred consistency.

If I have fresh ingredients, I prefer them. This is my fave quick salsa:

1 can stewed tomatoes
2-3 garlic cloves
about 1/4 of a small onion
a LOT of cilantro =)
cayenne, or any pepper of your choice
sugar
salt
pepper

Blend...then practice self-restraint:  try not to eat the whole batch by yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)