My Fab Fam

My Fab Fam
Photo by Thousand Hills Photography. Click on photo to visit their site.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Spinach Salad and Soul Food

Today I am babysitting a friend's twins. After breakfast, dipe changes, playtime, and bottles, they are both asleep.

Eleven hours later
...and that is all I was able to type before one woke up. Hmmm. How does a momma of twins do it?!

So, what I started to say way back in the wee hours of this morning was this:

I made a salad last night that was so very good, but I seriously only make this dressing like once every 5 years because, well, it's bacon grease. Yeah. And the Mr's cholesterol isn't exactly a care-free matter, nor will mine be if we eat this salad all the time.

Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing

Basically, my version is, you fry up the bacon (I scramble it all at once for quicker cooking), crumble the bacon, boil some eggs, and slice some mushrooms. Toss all that yumminess in a bowl with spinach, then add the dressing and toss to coat.

Dressing:
In a small pot, combine:
3 T. bacon grease
3 T. red wine vinegar (I will add more next time; I like more taste twang.)
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. Dijon mustard
salt
pepper
Whisk together.

For those of you who have read my earlier posts this week and know that Tuesday night's sup was supposed to be "left-over French onion soup," well, it was. I just made salad to go with it.

And, while we are on the subject of food, let's talk soul food. Not like "Saul Good" soul food, Louisiana cookin' soul food, thought that's good too, but soul food, like food for the spirit soul food, Bread of Life soul food.

Here's what I was feeding my soul this morning:



I have hardly begun it and I love it. If you're looking for a good book, I suggest this one. Go feed yo-self, girlfriend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please check back, as I often reply to your comments. =)